The science department at MAA has a dedicated and supportive team of teaching staff who believe that every student should have the opportunity to reach their full potential. MAA has a wide and varied range of leaners; skilled teachers and support staff are confident and able to adapt lessons and provide accreditation pathways to suit individual student needs. Our science curriculum also allows students to access appropriate pathways that enable students to effectively transition back into mainstream education, where appropriate.
Our aim is to help all learners develop a positive attitude to, and enjoyment of mathematics whilst maintaining progress, celebrating their achievements, building confidence and raising standards. We hope to achieve this by:
- · Stimulate and excite pupil’s curiosity.
- Understand how scientific methods and theories can develop over time.
- Develop practical skills.
- Evaluate risks in both practical science and the wider societal context.
- Explain every day and technological applications of science.
- Develop scientific explanations and an understanding of familiar and unfamiliar facts.
- Apply a knowledge of a range of techniques, instruments, apparatus and materials to select those appropriate to the experiment.
- Use scientific vocabulary, terminology and definitions.
- Use SI units.
- Develop skills to work as part of a team.
- Develop skills to work independently.
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
Courses currently offered:
The courses available at MAA changes over time and this is to ensure we offer appropriate accreditation pathways to all students, where appropriate. We currently offer:
Entry Level Certification (Entry Level Science/Entry Level Further Science)
Students can achieve a single GCSE in Biology/Chemistry/Physics by completing 2 external examinations (1 hour and 45 minutes). Students can achieve grades 1-5 by completing the foundation tier and 4-9 by completing the higher tier.
Entry Level Certification (Entry Level Science/Entry Level Further Science):
Students can achieve single Entry Level Certification in Science by completing 6 externally set examinations. Students can achieve Entry Level 1, Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3.
Students can achieve single Entry Level Certification in Further Science by completing 6 externally set examinations. Students can achieve Entry Level 1, Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3.